Historic Fallsington

Description
Built circa 1793 as a home by John Merrick, a cordwainer or shoemaker.

Construction
Fieldstone exterior, wood frame interior.

Uses
First used as a home.  In 1799, licensed as a tavern and operated as one until the Prohibition era. Offered food and lodging to farmers and travelers.

In the 1820’s it was owned by the Fallsington Inn Company.

After the Civil War, a large frame addition was made to the front and the name changed to the National Hotel.

In the 1920’s it became a lodge hall, then a hardware store.

Following acquisition in the 1960 by Historic Fallsington, the addition was removed revealing the original facade and footprint of the building.

Current Owner
Historic Fallsington, Inc.

Bars
Originally, the bar was on the main floor.  In the National Hotel days, it was in the basement, along with the local holding cell.

a






a
Key to the Map
1 Gillingham Store - Historic Fallsington Office
Museum Store
Fallsington Antique & Craft Shop
2 Burges-Lippincott House
3 Pleasants House
4 Hough House
5 Gambrel Roof House or
The 2nd Meetinghouse
5A First Public School
6 Schoolmaster’s House
7 William Penn Center
3rd Meetinghouse
8 4th and Current Meetinghouse
9 Stagecoach Tavern
10 11 Main Street
11 Brick House - 16 Main Street
12 The Gothic Revival Houses -
45, 51, 57, and 64 Main Street
13 46 Main Street
14 All Saints Episcopal Church
15 Fallsington Library
16 Fallsington United Methodist Church
17 The Manor House
18 Three Federal Houses -
21, 25, and 31 Yardley Avenue
19 The Moon-Williamson Log House
20 11 Yardley Avenue
21 10 Yardley Avenue
  Graveyards